- You can add additional functionality in the form of plugins.
- You can change the look and feel of the blog just by a click and the changes are applied instantly.
These are some of the other plugins that I use and which are not listed in BlogJoints list
- Autometa – Automatically generate and include HTML Meta Tags and Technorati Tags based on the full text of your post
- Bad Behavior – Deny automated spambots access to your PHP-based Web site.
- Browser Sniff – Detects web browser type and operating system. You can see this being used in the comments.
- Head Meta Description – Inserts HTML META description tag: excerpt/content brief for post/Page, description for category, and blog tagline for everything else. This plugin has helped in getting more traffic from search engines.
- Google Analytics – This plugin makes it simple to add Google Analytics to your blog. Also as mentioned in my previous post, it can be used to track outbound links in your site.
- WPVideo – Allows you to insert online videos in your post by providing the video url between the <video> tags. Also allows download the video (using Videodownloader) with a link below the video
- SideBar Widgets – This plugin makes the management of contents in the sidebar very easy. I am not sure how BlogJoint missed this plugin !!
There are so many themes for wordpress and it makes it hard to decide on one theme. I have currently stuck to the K2 theme, and its working like a charm. Even then I am always on the lookout for much better looking themes and I am always buzy testing different themes on my local wordpress setup🙂
SilentBits has put together a pretty nice list of Top WordPress themes. I Here are the links
Also do check his compilation of Non blog style wordpress themes. Kiwi and Squibble really stand out 🙂