How To: Browse remote files in Eclipse IDE

by venukb on June 6, 2007

Eclipse.org always amaze me with the kind of tooling that they go on adding to the Eclipse Platform. Few months back when I was browsing the different projects in Eclipse, I stumbled on Remote System Explorer (RSE)

Remote System Explorer is part of Target Management which in turn in a subproject of Device Software Development Platform (DSDP).

The purpose of the Target Management project is to creates data models and frameworks to configure and manage remote systems, their connections, and their services.

Remote System Explorer helps in

• Creating connections to remote Linux/Unix Servers
  • Exploring the remote file system
  • Editing and saving remote files
  • Open shells and execute commands
  • Search for files on the remote system

Installation

Configuration

(Note: I have a slightly old version of RSE at my workplace. The wizard data might differ in the new version)

The default Remote System Explorer view shows your system’s local file system by default.

You can additionally configure/add new connections via the “New Connection” dialog

Input the host name and connection name (optionally you can input connections description)

Once a new connection is added, you can connect to the sever using the required security credentials. After a successful connection you should be able to explore the remote system from the Navigator view.

The remote files can be opened/edited and saved from within Eclipse. Default Eclipse editors come into action based on the type of the remote file.

You can launch a shell and execute commands (Even the environment variables for the shell can be set)

With RSE plugin, my usage of Putty (Poderosa) has reduced a little bit.

Even for copying files between the local machine and the remote server, I don’t need to do FTP/SCP. I just drag and drop the files between the remote file system and the local file system.

More Tutorials/Documentation

The RSE tutorial and the TM Overview slides give more details on the features in RSE.

IBM also has detailed documentation on Remote System Explorer

(Note: All the features in IBM RSE might not still be part of Eclipse RSE)

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Ivan July 2, 2007 at 11:24 am

I didn’t see a way to download files… Am I missing something? Thanks for the great blog though, very awesome and undernoticed plugin.

Ivan July 2, 2007 at 11:25 am

ahh nevermind, figured it out :)

Venu July 2, 2007 at 11:32 am

Ivan,Nice to know that the post was of some use :)

Meanwhile I was testing Eclipse 3.3 with the new version of RSE. It looks like its much faster than the old version. Not sure if I should credit Europa or RSE.

Ivan July 2, 2007 at 10:00 pm

Hi Venu!

In general I’m noticing Europa is very fast :). One more question, have you figured out a way to have RSE create/edit files with a set of predefined permissions? Otherwise, my files are not editable by other users in my group.

It’s create files with ivan:ivan, when it should be creating, ivan:devgroup

Venu July 2, 2007 at 10:23 pm

I just checked on how it behaves at my workplace. I logged in to one of our dev boxes using my credentials, created a file and checked the file permissions. Both the user and group have “rw” access.

If you login via a terminal and create a file, with what permissions is the file created ? I guess the behavior should be same via eclipse RSE also unless you are using different credentials while logging in from RSE.

Matt November 14, 2008 at 12:20 am

Anybody know how to add a remote file (or folder) as a resource to an existing project?

Tamlyn June 4, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for this description. I wasted over an hour trying to work out how the hell to browse stuff using RSE. Showing the local file system tree in the sidebar seems like such a basic feature, I can’t believe Eclipse makes it this complicated!

Anyway, thanks.

Arturs November 16, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Here’s how you can add remote folder to the existing project.
Before you follow the steps below, make sure that you are connected to an Remote system or Remote site explorer (as described in the blog post above).

So, without further ado – here’s how you add remote directories to your project:
1) File -> New -> Folder
2) Select your project in the window that appears
3) Press “Advanced”
4) Check “Link to folder in the file system”
5) Choose file system – RSE
6) “Browse…” -> Connection = your ssh server
7) Browser for the folder in the view below
8) Press “OK”
9) Press “Finish”
10)Vòila, you are there!

Julio December 14, 2009 at 6:17 am

There seems to be an issue with remote linked folders if there are multiple connections to the same box with different accounts. Apparently Eclipse doesn’t associate a specific connection(i.e. user account) to the remote linked folder, instead it uses one of the connections randomly, which may be a problem if you want to edit files with one particular account or the other account doesn’t have write permission. Everything else looks awesome.

https://play.google.com/ May 4, 2014 at 1:35 pm

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am actually pleassant to read everthing at alone
place.

cookie clicker hack May 5, 2014 at 6:43 am

Also may cookie clicker cheats ever before affect state
policies. Not too long ago 5 candidates running for some type of placement utilized cookie clicker cheats as the primary matter of their strategy.
Someone may well consider cookie clicker cheats has to be undesirable matter for you to direct some sort
of marketing campaign along with, but also in truth with all the
interpersonal and also environment impact is offers, this
kind of matter was able to attain a large number of supporters.
Most of these 5 candidates went 5 with regard
to 5 on earning the jobs.

cookie clicker cheats are most often a much more essential
indisputable fact that almost all give credit for.
The next time the thing is or perhaps think of cookie clicker cheats, look at what we
simply read along with realize what on earth is definitely happening.
It’s likely you underneath highly valued cookie clicker cheats previous to, yet can currently
learn to required paid required along with warranted.

flappy bird technique May 9, 2014 at 10:16 am

The video game grew to become so rewarding that as soon as it was removed from the merchants flocks of clones flooded the marketplaces though telephones with the video game downloaded to it went on e –
Bay for 1000′s of pounds. If you like what you read through here, please subscribe to his
content articles. To grab your piece of dissolving gaming
historical past, test out the inbound links down below.

car crash video May 16, 2014 at 6:49 am

I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as
with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it is
rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays.

http://www.bbwatches.co.uk/rolex.html May 28, 2014 at 7:37 am

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this site.
It’s simple, yet effective.A lot of times it’s verry haard tto get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and vusual appeal.
I must say that you’ve done a great job with this. Also, the blog loads super fast for me on Chrome.
Excellent Blog!

Addicting Games July 3, 2014 at 8:35 am

When twin flames arrive alongside one another they join forces and
are able of conquering obstacles the common mortal could not begin to experience.

From sporting activities to method video games to puzzles, you can come
across any video game you like, enjoy several hours of fun and grow to be element of
the significant world-wide multiplayer on line gaming group.
Environment of Warcraft (BLIZZARD) This video game will acquire hours out of your lifespan just by the sheer content
material by yourself.

webpage July 24, 2014 at 6:53 pm

excellent points altogether, you just won a new reader.
What could you suggest about your submit that you simply made a few days in the past?
Any sure?