- Efficient database code, faster than previous versions
- Tabbed editor
- Lossless XML import and export for moving between WordPress blogs
- WYSIWYG spellchecker
- Search engine blocker for private blogs
- You can set any “page” to be the front page of your site, and put the latest posts somewhere else
- Links can now have sub-categories
- Redesigned login screen
- More AJAX to make custom fields, moderation, deletions, etc all instant
- Pages can now be drafts, or private
- Minor admin redesign
- Upload manager
- Faster dashboard
I setup the 2.1 release on my local WordPress blog. Here are some snapshots of the new features !
The simple boring Admin console has now been re-designed.
Now you can switch between the web preview and the HTML code screen easily in the post editor. There is also a new spell checker included, however this is kind of redundant if you are using Firefox 2.0
New Export Feature
Now you can export your wordpress blog to a XML file and the same can be imported onto another blog. The nice thing about this feature is that all your post metadata is stored properly.
Blog Privacy Setting
If you want a totally private blog, you can now set an option to block search engines.
Front Page Setting
Now you can set any of the static pages as the front page of your blog
I am still testing the new release within my local setup, not sure If I should upgrade this blog with 2.1 RC 1 !